Mar 10, 2014

Make a Curtain Hook Board

Here is an idea to design your own window panel board to hang room separating sheers.
(because I think a rod in a room with three window rods already would be over kill)

Our living room peeks straight into what would be a formal dining area. Since we don't dine formally...ever, this space serves our family well as a craft or homework room. 
This picture features the painted accent wall but look beyond that to the dining room. I store craft supplies, some seasonal decor and wreaths there (on top of the armoire). See that? 

So by making this wood window panel board I can decoratively hang window coverings to the room opening. They cover just enough of the sides to conceal the shelves. Also, the curtain rod in the dining area was free for wreath storage.
Wreaths are light weight so "S" hooks and extra curtain clips are just enough to keep them up out of the way along the bar. It's easy to see them when I'm looking to change out my decor, too.  
Let me quickly show you some steps to make the curtain hook board artful and impressive.
1. Start with a 1x6x18 inch piece of wood.

TIP- Here is how I get my pattern centered:

I had six curtain rod clips and craft hooks for each side. The hooks would be evenly spaced at three inches apart on my 18 inch pine board (2 of them).  Find the center of the board by dividing the full length by two -mark with pencil.  Divide the center 3 inch space in half which is 1 1/2 inches. Place the ruler at that mark lined up with the center pencil marking. Use a pencil mark the 1 and 3 then measure every 3 inches going out to each side and mark it with pencil. The diamonds will end on a half diamond. (these diamond are barely as tall as the board)

2. I love a diamond pattern and my Cricut can cut them pretty fast (Jasmine font). I printed them on vinyl and stuck them to the wood at every 3 inch pencil mark centered (just eyeing it). You can find diamond stencils at craft stores too.

3.Paint over the stickers.

4. After the paint is dry remove the stickers.

5. Sand a little.

6. Rub in dark stain over the whole things (except the back - since it won't be seen)

7. If the stain covers the paint color too much, like mine did, use cooking oil or baby oil on a paper towel and rub the painted areas to thin out the stain.  The stain leaves the paint looking aged, on purpose.

8. Screw in the hooks where each diamond meets (tap a tail tip in each spot to start the hole).

9. Then nail or drill the board above the molding.
(Don't mind the messy shelves but now you can see why this project is necessary to hide that.)
Hang the sheers with curtain rod clips.
There, wreaths are hung nicely like a window valance and the messy shelves are concealed behind the window sheers.

This could be a good way to frame out a window, too.

Have nice week!

See what the sheers are made from HERE.

Sharing with: Savvy Southern Style

28 comments :

BlueClearSky Elizabeth said...

The hook boards look great and I really like the diamond painted effect.

Sherri Smith said...

What a great idea! So much more interesting than a normal curtain rod. Looks great!

Blessings,

~Sherri

Annie said...

Ok I am loving the 'wreath rod'! It looks like a cute window treatment, not storage! :) please post a better pic of it!

Gigi Harlan said...

You have a very beautiful home and I love how the curtain hook board adds another special detail!

Gigi @ Old World Patina

Amanda {Kids and Cabernet} said...

What an awesome idea! I love the diamond design on the board - so pretty!!

Kelly said...

I love the look of the shears hanging in the doorway! It really softens the frame. It's no surprise that you would make the curtain hangers rather than buying curtain rods. That is so creative and adds even more interest.

Angela Santaniello said...

LOVE that you used the wood! I've been thinking about doing something like this in the office doorway.

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Very cute and clever! I may have to do this with a pair if my curtains!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Great idea, looks fabulous!

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...

Such a clever idea Holly. it looks wonderful!

Becky M said...

I just did something so similar to this in my guest bedroom (posting soon). I love how yours is in 2 pieces!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Love these!

Jules from bles-id said...

Such a stinkin good idea! (I love what how mathematical you are!!!) Who has time for formal dining rooms anymore? Pretty please do a post on all your wreaths. Why doesn't my storage look so posh??? I'm speaking at the Nor Cal Mother of Twins Club Convention this weekend and totally thought of you! Send me good vibes, K? XOXO Jules

Beth said...

very cool way to frame out the 2 rooms!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

What a fabulous idea Holly! I'm stressing because we have never lived in town and I'm going to have to have curtains in every room now. This is a fun way to hang some! Thanks for the quick tutorial!

Tina C said...

What a great idea! Hope you don't mind if I borrow it? Have a great day.

Deb Hrabik said...

Another creative project! I'm enjoying your photos.
Deb

Christine Vandormolen said...

Holly, that looks amazing. I just love white airy sheers and this is looking so awesome! what a creative idea...pinned as always!!! xoxoxo

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a super neat idea Holly...it looks great in that space.

Blessings,
Linda

Cynthia said...

Holly this is just so clever I can't stand it, and have never seen this before. Love the painting details and the wreaths hanging is pretty.

Cynthia

20 North Ora said...

Love your open door curtains but adore the item for the wreath storage. Thanks for the idea.

Judy

lynn said...

love the curtains hooks and your wreath idea, holly!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love this idea and how it looks, Holly! I think this would also work great for windows when you are just using stationery panels. A nice change from a rod!

Robin Johnson said...

The curtains add such a nice look to the room. What a great way to camouflage the shelves sticking out.
Your so smart

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

oh my gosh how cute and creative.. I love the diamond pattern and it looks great hanging up.

Katie Mansfield said...

I need to get a Cricut. You do the cutest stuff with it. This is a great idea and so, so cute.

Katie Mansfield said...

I need to get a Cricut. You do the cutest stuff with it. This is a great idea and so, so cute.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...