Mar 1, 2014

Make a Rustic Frame Collage

Create a dramatic wall collage by making your own signature style frames with natural elements.
(as seen on Ibby.com)

While you are on your next nature walk gather small tree branches that have fallen. There are many crafts that can be done with them.
Here are a few ideas to get you started.


Supplies:
Several tree limbs that are similar in diameter for each frame
Liquid Nails or a hot glue gun
Two to four 1 inch wood screws for each frame (depending on your branch size)
A brad nail gun (if you have one but not necessary)
Twine or D rings for hanging
Drill

If you are unable to break the branches by hand, use a miter saw to cut them at your desired length. The featured frames will mostly have stacked branch sides as you see above.

Lay the branches out in the shapes you desire. Glue with a hot glue gun to keep the limbs in place until you are ready to nail or screw the outer layer together. If you have a brad nailer, go ahead and use a dollop of liquid nails and shoot a nail into each corner to attach the branches.
Using wood screws will keep these frames together too. Plus they will give you a simple way to hang them. Here's how:
By leaving space at the neck of the wood screw at all four backside corners, twine can be wrapped on two for hanging.
This is where your imagination can run wild. Keep them plain or add some fun details.
This one has an "S" hook to hang a candle from the center of the frame and a "D" ring for attaching the frame to the wall.
For a completely different look - attach several branches horizontally to scrap paneling.
Use a small clothes pin to display a photo on the front side.
An accent wall can be all your own style with a few natural elements and an eclectic mix of details and photos.
I hope to inspire decorating with nature as nothing is more beautiful than that of our earth.





13 comments :

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

These look fabulous. I love this idea. Hugs, Marty

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Very cool! I like how you mixed them with traditional frames.

Deb Hrabik said...

There is something so cozy and homey about that look. Humble elements. I want some!
Deb@LakeGirlPaints

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Oh my goodness, these are just so adorable! We visit friends at their mountain cabin and I would love to take these as a gift!

Kelly said...

You are always coming up with the neatest ideas. I really like this craft. It looks great on that wall. Frames can get so expensive, so it's nice to see something made from natural materials that don't cost anything.

Dayle Allen Shockley @ A Collection of Days said...

The doggie on the sofa is my favorite.

Junkchiccottage said...

Holly,
This is absolutely fabulous. I love this. It is so eye catching and beautiful. These frames just enhance your beautiful family pictures. Great job on this project.
Kris

Christine Vandormolen said...

I luv luv luv that wall and the frames are so unique...wonderful as always

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

What a great idea Holly! I cannot wait until the weather is warm enough to take a nature walk again!

Gigi Harlan said...

What a great idea for frames! I like the little one with the candle hanging in it! I could probably make a bunch from all of the sticks my dog drags in, lol.

Gigi @ Old World Patina

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love that natural look---my husband would like this too. As usual, Mazi looks so cute :)

Angela Santaniello said...

The wall looks so good & I love the idea of using twigs and sticks!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Michele Alger said...

I really love these! What a great look. My boys would love helping me make these too. Thanks for the great idea!! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...