Apr 25, 2014

Fill Bare Flower Beds with an Upcycled Potting Bench

I once started a perennial garden from seed (here). It took a few years for the foliage to fill in nice and full but during the first seasons, when it was a little sparse, I used pots and furniture to "fill in the blanks".

Here, at our current home, I look out the kitchen window and see this backyard garden that gets washed out by water drainage. Not much is planted right here so it seems like there are..."holes" in the landscape. I needed a place for potting flowers so I re-purposed my pallet porch table (link) into a potting bench. Adding the vintage window, paint and iron accents to it gives me a place to hang scissors & trowels. Plus, my kitchen view is much more interesting.
Stacked pots look cool to me so I brought my empty ones out. Grape vine wreaths are fun to add to the rims of pots for a little natural and rustic accent. Fresh soil is great to have on hand, too.
Stone pathways are so inviting. These stepping stones are actually resin faux stones in this garden. I chose them for the ease of transporting and then when we move they can come along. (around $3+ at Walmart)
The back of this potting bench has a rounded shelf (link to how I hung it) to hold small, broken or plastic pots for recycling. As you can see, I didn't take time to paint the back. The window is secured in place with iron brackets that "hug" each end and corners then screw in at four different places each.
Side view - maybe not beautiful from this angle but it works. The table was quite a bit more wide than the old window was so I made two little "pillars" out of two 2x4's and a fence post top that was cut in half. To my eye it balanced out the top and bottom sections.
The paint color is Weathersfield Moss by Benjamin Moore. 
I share some of my favorite perennials in this post.
I took these pictures after a much needed rain. Everything was covered in pollen before. Mother Nature knew we needed a little spring cleaning.
Speaking of balanced - Mazi's legs are wet so she looks like a snow cone shaped dog (that's how I feel in skinny jeans). =/

Have a super fun weekend!

(more stories about gardening HERE)
Sharing this project with 

19 comments :

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Holly,
Your potting bench is so darn cute...love how you added the window. We have been making so many potting benches around here...working on #3 and #4 now.

Blessings,
Linda

NanaDiana said...

Oh- That is SUCH a cute potting bench . I just love the added window. It is the perfect finishing touch. I can't WAIT until I can get outside and start working. xo Diana

Katie Mansfield said...

I love it. It is just the cutest thing.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

This looks great--and so functional. It looks so wet at your house--just like we are having here. I laugh at poor wet Mazi--nothing worse than muddy pawprints in the house. Oh well--it will be dry soon! Have a great weekend!

ANNE said...

super cute! and I love that colour too!

reFresh reStyle said...

Beautiful! Make me one :)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love the potting bench, how fabulous is that and it looks great in the garden.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Your potting bench is adorable!!!...I love it in that space in your garden and you have adorned it so beautifully!!!..Great job!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Your potting bench is adorable!!!...I love it in that space in your garden and you have adorned it so beautifully!!!..Great job!

Art and Sand said...

love the potting bench . . . love the whole look of your garden.

Art and Sand said...

love the potting bench . . . love the whole look of your garden.

Kelly said...

I love your new potting bench! It looks so cute the way you've used it in your yard too. Do you know that I have that same concrete container that your yellow flowers are in on top of the bench? I noticed that right away! I bet little Mazi got a good bath after that outing.

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

How perfect! I have never had a potting bench and now I want one.:) I want one just like yours.
You have me laughing at the snow cone pup and the mental picture of a snow cone Holly.
Happy weekend!!
HUGS, Gee

chateau chic said...

I love having furniture outdoors, and your potting bench is perfect in the garden! Your spring may be a little further along down there in Richmond than we are here. We spent yesterday mulching all day and my body is aching today!
Thank you for your visit and very sweet comments.
Mary Alice

Christine Vandormolen said...

soooooo gorgeous!!! You are lucky to have a big yard like that too.....I love how Mazi poses in all of your pictures....For some reason I have not been getting my email feeds of new posts. Don't know if its a Feedburner glitch of what.....HUGS

lynn said...

love the potting bench, and how cute is your little model?! i think i need some stepping stones--tfs, holly!

C.D. Loken said...

I love this creative/functional use of empty garden space! The vintage window and grape vine wreaths are the perfect accents!

Marie Blackburn said...

Love your potting bench especially the shelf behind the window - great idea! Saw it again at the Wow Us Wednesday Party.
Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, I haven't seen that old potting bench for awhile. Glad to see you still have it. Always loved the look. The vintage window you added looks great. It creates an inviting and down to earth feeling in your yard. I really like the stones for a path also. You look much better in skinny jeans than the snow cone Mazi, believe me. Have a great day. love ya, mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...