Apr 12, 2014

Nosey Neighbor Kitchen Redo #1

Our neighbors had a water leak that damaged their flooring on the main floor and in the basement.


The insurance company claim was going to cover costs of the damage to the flooring for both areas. This particular home was built around 2003. The builder still put linoleum in the kitchens at that time (don't ask me why). My neighbors put a wood floating floor over top of it after they moved in.
After the water damage, that floating floor was removed.
Now, being the nosey neighbor that I am, I couldn't keep my thoughts to myself about possibilities that could happen here.
The kitchen design had an extra tall over hang built up with a pony wall.
The problem with the design was this narrow isle way. This is a huge house and getting around in the great room, kitchen and breakfast nook was not so great with the tall peninsula and narrow isle.
After discussions, me poking my nose in to their business and talking about options, we came to a decision about a design plan that is going to work much better for this family of 6.
Out went the counter tops and over went the end cabinet to my house next door. I am going to show you the makeover that happened to this piece of the kitchen layout but I will have to share the full reveal another day (new floors and a counter top are coming)
The owners decided that an island that could roll out on occasion would work best. I knocked off the 4 1/2 inch toe kick where I could but had to run each side through the table saw to make it short enough to accommodate locking wheels.
I started from the bottom. Applied 1x4's to the bottom where the toe kicks were cut off. I needed something sturdy to screw the wheels to. I marked where the screws would go and made pilot holes.
The sides and back are getting some beaded board.
When cutting paneling, it's a good idea to tape off the area on the front side that will be cut so that the seam doesn't splinter or shred.
I used liquid nails and a little brad nailer to apply the board and 1x4 trim. I ripped the 1x4's for the sides and corners to 1/4 inch thick so they didn't stick out from the original maple front lip of the cabinet. The above photo shows where I used spackle and caulk on the seams.
The spackle is applied to fill in creases but also to make a layered paint look too.
The paint color is a mix of the kitchen wall color (Northampton Putty by Ben Moore) and white. Once it is all painted and caulked. I let it sit over night to cure.
Next day - sanded the whole thing with 220 grit sand paper and an orbital sander.
The air compressor is great for blowing away unwanted dust.
Glazing bead board is tricky. The little vertical grooves can grab that stain and make them dark. That opens a whole new can of worms because then they should all be glazed. This piece is going to stay on the lighter side so I didn't apply stain in the grooves.
Here is how I glaze painted cabinets or furniture.
Apply stain in small areas at a time. Use vegetable oil or baby oil on an old t-shirt to "move" the stain around. 
I am using an old t-shirt soaked with Canola oil and using circular motions to rub the color into the painted areas and the exposed wood where I distressed it by sanding.
It's blending...
See how the color changes and the exposed wood grabs the stain color?
You read right the first time...Canola Oil!
All done!
Rustic and worn with industrial wheels.
Front
A boxed out bottom with access to the wheels that can lock in place.
Wood shows through the paint in random places. I try to make these marks where the furniture might wear naturally.
This is an area that the spackle made the paint look like it had other paint layers underneath.
It's ready for the counter top.
(more of this story to come)

So come on back for #2!

Sharing this story with Funky Junk Interiors, Coastal Charm

24 comments :

tiffjones611 said...

I like this distressing idea. I made a pie cabinet not too long ago where I spray painted the edges a oil rubbed bronze color then as I painted the cabinet, I simply wiped the edges. It turned out great and was super easy to do :D

Lynn@FernAvenueBlog said...

It looks fantastic. Love the bead board... And, how lucky for them to have a nosey neighbor :)

YankeeBelle said...

Looks amazing Holly!! You have LUCKY neighbors!!!

chateau chic said...

How lucky are they to have you for a neighbor!!! Can you move next door to me real soon, Holly?? :-))
Love this rolling island!
Mary Alice

awal.ny said...

It looks great. I love the spackle to look like layered paint idea.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

How fun, I can't wait to see more. Hugs, Marty

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

You had me at bead board!! Great job Holly. Awaiting the finished piece.

Angela Ryder said...

How awesome! Wish you were my neighbor!~~Angela

Kelly said...

You are a good neighbor! I bet they loved getting free designing advice and even you to do the work for them! It looks great. Can't wait for the full reveal.

Katie Mansfield said...

I love this story. What a sweet neighbor you are. Can't wait to see more.

NanaDiana said...

Holly- YOu did a MARVELOUS job on that! I love how it turned out and the glaze really "makes" the piece for me. I love it. xo Diana

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

Brilliant idea! I love how this turned out and can't wait to see the entire project finished! Your poor neighbors! Water leaks are no fun! hugs, Leena

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Great story--love the nosey neighbor part. I have a hard time not giving my opinions to anyone who will listen :) Love your project--the oil is a great idea! Can't wait to see the top.

Debbiedoos said...

I would NOT mind you being my nosy neighbor at all. That looks fantastic Holly!

Pendra said...

Geez, you make it look so easy...and so gorgeous! Wish you lived next door to me...ever consider moving to Minnesota???? Can't wait to see more, you tease!

Jo said...

That looks great! I'm going to try your technique on a simple shelf...starting small :)

Luanne said...

I love the cabinet. Thanks for sharing your technique. I have to give this a try. Wish I had such creative neighbors!!!!

Melissa said...

I wish I had a nosey neighbor!

Cynthia said...

What a great nosey neighbor you are and I would love to have you for mine. If you want, when I paint out dining room furniture over for the new house you can come and be nosey, LOL. Holly you are doing such a great job. When I glaze painted furniture I use clear glaze mixed with paint. Maybe I should try Canola oil, probably cheaper, LOL. So behind n emails, sorry!

Cynthia

lynn said...

your technique looks awesome! tfs:)

Michele Alger said...

It turned out fantastic! Love the roll away style. ;)

Christine Vandormolen said...

ohhh why oh why can't you be my nosey neighbor???? They are so lucky!!!!!!

Dinesh gir said...

Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag where you can find Videos, Gif Images, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags.
LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

Marie Blackburn said...

Wow, the island looks awesome and who would've thought it was a stock cabinet. Canola oil eh? I must try that technique sometime. Beautiful job and I can't wait to see it with the top. I'm visiting from the Nifty Thrifty party.
Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...